Finding the perfect venue for filming a MOOC

22:30 Saturday 6 June 2015

At work we have a little MOOC studio in which many of our MOOC videos are filmed, but whether we use this the studio is up to the MOOC instructor. It's really based on the look and feel the MOOC instructor wants. In the case of the MOOC I'm working on, the instructor wanted to be filmed in a classroom that has an oldschool "Oxford" feel to it. Since it's 2015 almost all venues at campus have been renovated. I mean where and how was I going to find a venue with a blackboard and wooden frames?!

Luckily we have a centralised system for campus venues and I emailed them to find if they knew of any venues that met these specifications. They happily replied with in a day with a list of venues I could look at. I ran around campus with TinaShe from our video production team to have a preview of the venues. I took photos of them (below) and then emailed the MOOC instructor to ask him which of the venues he preferred.








He chose his preferences and within a short time we managed to do a trial shoot in the venue. We had issues like two of windows in the venue refused to close and one where a student came inside the room while we were filming despite my "filming in progress" signs all over the doors.

Later this month we'll be filming the lectures for this MOOC. Eeek. I find it a bit nerve-wrecking because this is an entirely new experience for me. But one thing for sure, the MOOC creation process is interesting. It differs greatly across MOOCs, highly dependent on the topic and the instructor/s.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Feel free to engage with me by commenting or Tweeting me!